Monday, July 12, 2010

Sick at 27 weeks :(

On Sunday morning, I started having on and off fever and sharp pain in my lower abdomen. I thought it was just over fatigue due to my frantic work schedule ever since I came back from the States. I dismissed the ab pain as an upset stomach but after doing #2 twice, I started getting suspicious that it might be something else so I texted my OB who was on vacation.

She called me about 10 minutes after and asked me to go to hospital's ER because she suspected that my fever and ab pain were something else. She endorsed me to another OB since she couldn't make it in time being out of town at the moment.

Dan and I got to the hospital and I was asked to do a urine and blood test. After 2-3 hours of wait (nap time for me), we found out that I had UTI and my hemoglobin was a bit low (10 instead of around 12 at my pregnancy stage). Dra Alegado, who was Dra Dimatulac's (my OB) reliever went to see me and performed some tests. She did an IE just to check that I wasn't confusing my ab pain with pre-term labor, she also checked my baby's heartbeat rate which was 163 at that time. Despite the stress of the situation, we managed to laugh when the nurse was listening to my baby's heartbeat cus my baby gave a hard kick and startled the nurse hehehehe...

I was precsribed with Cefadroxil which is safe for me and my baby, Duvadilan, and Biogesic for my fever. I also bought a digital thermometer so we could monitor my temperature. Right now, pain is still there although not as sharp and frequent as it was on Sunday.

This experience made me fear for my baby's safety and it made me feel bad that I may not be taking the best care of myself which endangered my baby. The doctor said that if UTI was left untreated or if the infection raised to where my baby is, she could have weak lungs when she comes out and I definitely dont want that. This is the 3rd time that I've had a urinary tract infection but the first time since my pregnancy started. This made me realize that my choices and decisions affect that little person inside me so I have to be more cautious and responsible. I hope that I get well soon and that I won't contract any other infections or what not since I really don't want to risk my baby.

1 comment:

  1. I hope that everything will be alright sis...God is good all the time. Have a safe pregnancy

    ReplyDelete